Saturday, July 3, 2010

Slick

I walked to the post office today, intent on paying the postage on my Norway-bound envelope in all coins. As I handed over five Good Ones, the Post Officer exclaimed, "Oh, think you're slick, getting rid of them by giving them to me now!" I replied that dollar coins aren't so bad, and she eased up a little, noting, "Well, they sure are shiny."

People like the shiny. Shiny accounts for a 0.4 point reduction in ACI.

Tender: $5.64
Response: Playful regret
ACI: 4.6 0.4

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Isn't the ACI out of 1? This is quite interesting, by the way. I find $2 bills to get better responses though.

Chris said...

Hmm... yes, ACI is out of 1.0. There was some inflation that day (-;

$2 bills ("Jeffies") do get a better response, since they don't have any of the "negative" aspects of Good Ones. It would be interesting to see if the positive attitude toward Jeffies cancels out any ACI. Maybe I shall artificially construct a $3 purchase in the future to find out.

Several tips said...

Good post.